Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Choose

I have been participating in a women's bible study this summer ("The Rest of Your Life: Discovering God's Rest in a Driven, Demanding, Distressing World," by Mary Andrews-Dalbey, Ph.D.) and it has really stirred up some things in my heart and soul. Mainly, God has been showing me areas in my life where I am still choosing to eat from the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. This tree tempts me into thinking that I can do things that only God can do - to be god-like in my abilities. I didn't even know that I was doing this! My true desire is to eat only from the fruit of the Tree of Life - the one where I can depend on God for all things. I plan to continue to ask God to reveal to me any area where I am making this mistake. I thank God, in His great mercy, for continually putting before me opportunities to have my mind renewed - for shining His light of revelation into these dark corners of my life.

I have listed a few of the differences between the trees and could go on and on, but I think these few words will be enough to illustrate my point.

Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil vs. Tree of Life

Duality Oneness Judgment Grace God-like burden Sabbath Rest Insecurity Belonging Worry Peace Fear Joy Inadequacy Completeness Blame Acceptance Pride Humility Deception Truth Bondage Freedom Death Life Curse Blessing... CHOOSE.


…I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the LORD your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days…
(Deut. 30:19-20)

No comments:

Post a Comment