Saturday, March 13, 2010

More Poetry

I am cheating a little on my blog today. I found some of my old poetry and thought I would "recycle" it. I have rewritten the poems a bit, so technically they are new. I guess this beautiful spring-like weather is inspiring me to be poetic! Speaking on inspiration, I just realized that my inspiration for both of these poems could have come from Exodus chapter 3 where God speaks to Moses from a burning bush. The "I AM" and holy fire themes are both in this chapter. Actually, I believe the first poem was inspired by a Sunday school lesson I was teaching. The second one most likely came to me during a time of seeking God's refinement. Stay tuned, I might find and post more old poetry. I save everything!


The Great “I AM”

“What is your name? Who shall I say you are?”
God speaks: “I AM WHO I AM”

The power of His voice goes forth
Reverberating throughout all creation

In the mighty clap of thunder
And the gentle splash of the raindrop
In the rumbling of the earthquake
And the gurgling of the mountain stream
In the fierce roar of the lion
And the gentle beating of the bird’s wings
In the warrior’s cry of triumph
And the newborn baby’s cry

Listen! Feel! Know!

The God of yesterday, today and forever
Is making His name known in the hearts of men
The Great "I AM"



HOLY FIRE

Look! There on the mountain!
A holy fire! A man within!
Righteous and pure and without sin
Burning bright, burning true
Beckoning to me, “I’ll see you through”

The journey begins here where I stand
Not hallowed ground, but right where I am

Bleeding feet and scarred knees
Is what this mountain is doing to me
Treacherous cliffs, from some I hang
Does He see me? Does He see my pain?

Yes! An outstretched arm, a helping hand
Back on my feet, now able to stand

The fire there is still calling you see
But wait, what is this change in me?
Oh, what a wonderful and glorious sight!
A gift of Hind’s feet for the climb through the night!

Upward, upward I must go
Never looking down, never looking below

At last, here I am at journeys end
He calls my name and I enter in
This all-consuming fire that is eternally Him
To be united with Him in one accord
This is my destination! This is my reward!






No comments:

Post a Comment