Friday, March 12, 2010

Scars of the Heart

I was reading chapter 20 of the Gospel of John this morning and I stopped at verses 19 and 20 to meditate on them and to appreciate them anew. These verses tell us that Jesus appeared to His disciples after His resurrection and He showed them His hands and His side. He was proving to them that it was indeed Him they were seeing, as evidenced by the crucifixion scars He still bore on His body. This passage brought back to my remembrance a poem I had written a few years ago about a different type of scar - scars of the heart.

This poem came out of a conversation I had with the Lord about past hurts. Here are some excerpts from my journal about what He spoke to me - followed by the poem this conversation inspired:

The Lord speaking to me -

"You ask me, 'What is this that runs across my heart Lord? What is this ridge, this road map of agony, of pain, of despair? Where did it come from? What do I do with it? Can it be taken away?' I, the Lord, say to you: This is your testimony. This scar inflicted upon your heart. When you look at the scar - touch it, ponder it and remember.

Remember me.

Do you remember how you got that scar? What injustice you suffered? The violence you endured? Do you remember the shame of the moment? The helplessness to stop the pain? Do you remember?

I Remember.

This is my testimony: I bear the scars on my hands, feet and my side. I bear the scar of the cross so that you might live. Your scars are heart scars. I was there when they were inflicted. I put my hand into that place of pain and I asked my Father to bring healing, to bring wholeness, to bring newness. I asked that I might carry the pain and shame of the suffering you endured that you might live.

I see your scars. I see your pain. I do more than see. I carry. I carry the scars of your heart in my heart. Why you ask? It is my testimony of love. I love. I love. I love. I love."


"Scars of the Heart"

A scar
A ridge across the heart
A hurt, a pain, a sorrow
A witness
A statement

A scar
Evidence of the past
Covered over, closed up
A memory
A thought

Ah! A greater understanding revealed
Compassion, mercy, grace
A new beginning
A fresh start

A scar
A place of remembrance
Healing, wholeness, restoration
A testimony
A story

The scar of my heart.

The cross
A thought, a memory, a story
A statement, a witness, a testimony
A new beginning, a fresh start

The scar of your heart.

The scar of my heart swallowed up by the scar of your heart
Enduring, embracing, erasing
A perfect gift
A sacrifice of love
The cross




No comments:

Post a Comment