Thursday, March 12, 2009

In Search of a Gift

In this "great awakening" season of my life, I have made yet another wonderful discovery. 

I love a story!

I recently went on an excursion, a treasure hunt! Granted, it was in my mind, but it was a hunt none the less. What kind of treasure was I looking for?


 
A Gift

Not a present with a pretty bow on it, but gift as in

Giftedness 

I took my mental voyage all the way back to my childhood (waaaay back) to see if I could recognize a giftedness that had always been there, but had never been cultivated, that had been lying dormant due to lack of something - resources, encouragement, circumstances, etc. 

Was I an artist, a musician, an actor in the making who just never caught a break?

I searched and searched my memories. I liked music. Did I have a hidden musical gift? I liked writing poetry. Was I a poet and just didn't know it (alright - old joke). Reading was high on my list. Not sure there is a gift of reading. Day dreaming was seriously one of my favorite past times. It felt like a gift. These were nice memories, but I wanted treasure! I kept pondering things on my own and then I finally "got a clue" and petitioned God to help me find my special area of giftedness. God loves to reveal things to us....

"I will give you the treasures of darkness,
riches stored in secret places,
so that you may know that I am the LORD,
the God of Israel, who summons you by name."
Isaiah 45:3 (NIV)


He prompted me to think about what my "likes" had in common. With a little more probing on my part and prompting on God's, I got it! What He was showing me was that all my "likes" were ways of telling a story. 

Songs tell a story. Books tell stories. Poetry. Story. Day dreaming. Best kind of story.




Once I had a dream that I was having a conversation with God. Do you know what was the only thing I remembered about that conversation when I woke up? 



God likes fairy tales! 

Apparently, if my dream conversation is valid -

God loves a story too! 


The gospel being the greatest story ever told! 

The gospel is no fairy tale, but it does have a hero. His name is Jesus and He is our rescuer and defender. He came to the earth to sweep the damsel in distress, His betrothed, off her feet and into His arms for eternity. 
 
"I will betroth you to Me forever;
Yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice,
In lovingkindness and in compassion,
And I will betroth you to me in faithfulness."
Hosea 2:19-20(NASB)

Thank you God for writing your story on the tablet of my heart.

Back to the search for my gift(s)...

Is the love of a story a gift? Not necessarily, but the knowledge that my love of a story is a fundamental part of who I am is a present

My treasure hunt continues....








No comments:

Post a Comment