Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Image of Jesus

God took me through something this week that was not comfortable and, actually, was quite painful. My kind, loving and gracious Father allowed me to be broken so that He could do some mending of a supernatural nature regarding a relationship and a way of thinking.

The relationship mending aspect of what took place is precious to me and I will keep that private. Here is the "way of thinking" that challenged me and I want to put out there for examination: 

*We all have our own image of Jesus, how we visualize, imagine, see Him in our minds, and then we judge others' Christ-likeness according to how well they fit that image. 

This got me thinking (there is that contemplation side of me) about my image of Jesus. What is my image of Him? 



I see Jesus as a bold, passionate, radical lover of mankind.

Where did this image come from? (more contemplating)



From the inside out.

At least that is my desire. That is my hope. The image of Christ and the expression of Christ being worked into me and out of me by the power of the indwelling Spirit of God - His Holy Spirit -

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. 1 Cor. 2:10(b)-12

the one who knows the Father Intimately and fully. 

How can I know if my image is accurate and truthful? What is the standard by which I measure truth?



The WORD of GOD

not the world
not an institution
not a person

Father God has assured me of this...


And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. 2 Cor. 3:18 (ESV)


Through His Spirit and by His Word I can know the image of His Son and I can know that as a child of God I am being made like Him. 


"And I - in righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness
Psalm 17-15 (NIV)

Amen.

(*My pastor, Gary McGhee, shared this concept with me and I ran with it)

No comments:

Post a Comment