Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Great Awakening

I want to share about a "great awakening" that I am experiencing. 

It all started (at least in my conscious mind) when I casually picked up a book I saw on a shelf at church. The title, The Creative Call - An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit (by Janice Elsheimer), caught my attention. I teach a middle school Sunday school class and many of the kids are very creative. I thought it wouldn't hurt to look the book over to see if it would be something suitable for them. After reading the introductory chapter, I was hooked! I forgot about the kids and jumped in with  both feet myself! That God orchestrated the "accidental" finding of the book, I have no doubt. That I would be so changed by it, "inconceivable!" (That one is for all you "Princess Bride" fans). The book has exercises to complete - questions to answer, reflections, things to ponder (right up my alley!). The first exercise seemed fairly simple to do. It was, but the outcome was powerful. My discovery.... 


I have ALWAYS longed to be a part of something bigger than myself

Wait! There is a second tier.  Not just any old part, but a leader. Not just something ordinary, but something adventurous and full of risk, requiring great levels of courage and trust. You might say "don't we all." I don't know. Maybe. Probably. But, do we all embrace and own the truth of this statement. When I dug down deep, excavating through years of refuse and debris, and found this truth lying dormant in my soul, my heart leapt for joy. It came alive for me. The resurrection breath of the Holy Spirit was present at that moment. He brought it alive for me and it has been resonating in me ever since. "The great awakening."

When I think of all the opportunities I passed up because I was "afraid," I am astonished. Fear ruled my life for a very, very long time. I didn't try out for the track team, I didn't run for class president, I didn't. I didn't. I didn't. I spent most of my life playing it safe and running from challenges, staying under the radar and not rocking the boat. All the while, my heart yearned for adventure. Mind you, there were reasons for my fear. Fear is an effective tool of the enemy to knock courage out of a person - especially if that person is already at a disadvantage - especially if that person was created to be courageous. 

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." 
Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

I have a feeling the enemy knew more about my destiny back then than I did and he sure didn't want me to ever figure it out. He almost won. He almost destroyed me. But, God...

"In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in your righteousness."
 Psalm 31:1 (NIV)

Once I asked God what he liked most about me and this is what he said: "You are intriguing." I almost fell over. I said back to Him, "God, how can you the Creator find me the created intriguing? You made me! There are no surprises!" He answered, "I am intriguing and I like intrigue. When I created you, I made you intriguing so that I could enjoy that part of who I am."  Wow! God created me for intrigue because he likes intrigue. God created me with a desire to be a part of something big because He had something big for me to be a part of.  

My hope to be a leader in something greater than myself, involving risk and trust, adventure and intrigue, was answered in  the form of a call.  

To be a part of the greatest
reconciliation
of all time
God
with his
People

How do I know this? God revealed it to me. I have been tested and found worthy and ready for the call.  Now that I understand the origin of my desires and the source of my strength, I plan to be remembered as the one that "did!"

I end this blog with the chorus of a song that is playing in my head - an invitation to you to join me....

Saddle up your horses we've got a trail to blaze
Through the wild blue yonder of God's amazing grace
Let's follow our leader into the glorious unknown
This is life like no other - this is the Great Adventure

Come on get ready for the ride of your life
Gonna leave long faced religion in a cloud of dust behind
And discover all the new horizons just waiting to be explored
This is what we were created for

("The Great Adventure" by Steven Curtis Chapman)


2 comments:

  1. Wow, I can just feel the Spirit moving in you! It's so real! I find your writing style very authentic and intense. I never knew you could write so well, I guess the Lord is bringing out many of your gifts so you can glorify Him! I think I would love that book as well! Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cindy. Your comments mean so much to me. I have always admired your writing ability (and your many other gifts) and feel honored that you would admire mine. The Spirit is definitely moving and I am enjoying it so much... writing, painting, photography - you name it. I haven't tried sewing yet!

    ReplyDelete